Salentein - Primus Malbec


*** Check stock availability before ordering your purchase ***

In this vintage, color has marked an inflection point due to the extremely high intensity achieved. Black and purple hues, enhanced by a lively shine, deliver a highly attractive wine. Intense aromas of red and black berries, complex; this year with a good share of spices, such as clove and, slightly, pepper. Its mouth-feel offers an ample start, with sweet tannins that are typical of this variety, good structure, and acidity that is remarkable and well-balanced, yet firm, adding agility and freshness with a long finish. Wine with no fining or stabilization, bottled without filtering, so it may have some sediment as evidence of its little dispossession and natural winemaking.

This wine is suitable for haute cuisine, based on red meats and good seasoning. Recommended storage time: 10 years. Decant for 30 to 60 minutes before serving at 16°C (61°F).

Tasting notes
This wine displays an intense and deep purplish red colour.
Aromatically speaking it is very complex, with aromas of blackberries, raspberries and blueberries, combined with oral hints and
delicate notes of vanilla and spices granted by its oak ageing.
In the mouth, it is intense, wide, concentrated and elegant. Its tannins are sweet and silky, with good texture. In the medium mouth, it
displays a long and unctuous nish. Outstanding freshness and minerality.

Vineyards Notes:

Grapes come from own vineyards: 60% from our oldest estate, El Oasis, plot 901, located 1200 masl and the remaining 40% from plot 22 of La Pampa estate, located 1300 masl. e soils of our estates are shallow, alluvial and stony, with excellent permeability and low content of organic matter. Balanced vines, trellis-trained in bilateral cordon, with low production as well as ecient drip irrigation control and optimum ripeness.

Vintage report:

The harvest of Malbec grapes started on 5th April in El Oasis estate and continued on 20th April in La Pampa estate. Fruit sanitary conditions were very good. In winter was not very harsh. It had warm days and cold nights with medium-intensity frost. In spring, September was a bit colder than the historical average and, consequently, the shooting process was delayed seven days. During October and November, the average temperatures were a bit warmer. is made shoots grow faster, which eventually resulted in early abundant canopy. December was colder and, consequently, shoots grew slower at the end of the year and then they stopped growing in the middle of January, at the same time of veraison. e last two weeks of January, maximum temperatures were higher, which resulted in a greater demand of water due to the increase of evapotranspiration. is period with some water restriction made grapes were smaller, improving their relation between skin and pulp. During March and April, days were warm and nights were cold, which favoured a slow and very balanced tannic ripeness with suitable sugar content

Winemarking report

Grapes were hand-harvested and carried to the winery in 400-kg plastic bins. Clusters were selected and destemmed. Fermentation was performed in 7,000-litre oak casks. Prefermentative cold maceration was carried out at 10/12 degrees Celsius. Fermentation was performed by using active dry yeast at a temperature between 26 and 28 degrees Celsius. During fermentation, overpumping, rack and return as well as pissage took place. Once post fermentative maceration nished, wine was racked to French oak barrels where malolactic fermentation was carried out during 15 days at a controlled temperature between 26 and 28 degrees Celsius. Wine was aged in French oak barrels 18 months. is way, wine was fully integrated with oak.


Alcohol content: 14.5 % 

Tartaric Acidity g/L: 5.57 

Residual sugar g/L: 2.65 

pH: 3.78